The criteria for evaluation of nominees are clearly laid out in the relevant Nomination Forms, which should be completed between Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the process. Examples of the nomination forms can be viewed and downloaded here below, in order for nominators to see what information is required. These are examples only and should not to be filled in. The relevant nomination form will be made available to the nominator in Word format, once Stage 1 (registration) has been completed. For information purposes, the following criteria broadly apply.
The following criteria broadly apply to assessing all categories of the awards:
Section 1: Background and contribution to the advancement of science/technological innovation/new knowledge generated:
- the inputs to this contribution
- the research process (where applicable)
- the development process (where applicable)
Section 2: Outputs –What has been done with this contribution :
- The outputs
- The practical application/implementation/impact and commercial or economic impact
- Relevance to South Africa and its people and resultant contribution to science, engineering and technology (SET) policy
- Publications (in the Innovation category this information is regarded as incidental)
- Promotion of public understanding of SET
Section 3: Students, education and development of human capital, sustainability and recognition
- Supervision of students where applicable and promotion of education in this field as a contribution to the public understanding of SET (this is more for incidental information in the Innovation categories and the Communication category and less critical to the assessment)
- Social and economic sustainability
- National and international impact and recognition
Examples of nomination forms
The interpretation of criteria in relation to each of the awards is clarified in the examples of Nomination Forms below.
- Awards for individuals for contributions to science, engineering and technology (SET)
- Lifetime Award: contribution over a lifetime
- TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Researchers for research and its outputs
- TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Emerging Researchers for research and its outputs
- Management Award: contribution through management of SET and innovation and related activities
- Awards for Engineering Research Capacity Development
- NSTF-Water Research Commission (WRC) Award: towards sustainable water management, knowledge generation and solutions
- Data for Research Award: for advancing the availability, management and re-use of research data
- Innovation Awards: for innovations and their research and/or development
- Through a Corporate organisation, or
- Small, medium and micro enterprise (SMME)
- Communication Award: for outreach and creating awareness of SET and innovation
- Special Annual Theme Award (SATA) : For an outstanding contribution to SET and innovation towards the Creative Economy for Sustainable Development- No additional form required. A nomination in the SATA category should be made using one of the other category forms. The SATA nomination then becomes an additional nomination to that nomination. The last section on all other nomination forms should be completed should the SATA be selected.
Once registration of a nomination is done online, the relevant nomination form/s will be made available in Word format. Where more than one category has been selected, a nomination form for each section should be completed.
Certain additional criteria apply to specific awards categories. This can be viewed on the relevant award category pages.
- Individual Awards: Lifetime, Researcher, Emerging Researcher and Management
- Engineering Research Capacity Development Awards
- NSTF-WRC Award
- Data for Research Award
- Innovation Awards: Corporate Organisation or Small, Medium and Micro Enterprise (SMME)
- Communication Award
- Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) Award
- Special Annual Theme Award: for an outstanding contribution to science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation towards the Creative Economy for Sustainable Development.