What is proSET?
proSET is a membership sector of the NSTF consisting of professional bodies and learned societies in science, engineering, technology (SET) and SET education.
What does proSET do?
- Promotes cooperation among professional organisations in SET and education
- Strives for improved SET education
- Promotes the image of all SET practitioners
History of proSET
proSET was previously known as SETAG (Scientific, Engineering, Technological Societies and Allied Professions Group of South Africa). SETAG resulted from a merger between the memberships of NSTF and the AS&TS Trust (Associated Scientific and Technical Societies of South Africa) in 2003. SETAG was active from 2003 to 2010, during which time it was renamed as proSET. The proSET sector of the NSTF was revived in 2012. A new proSET Committee was elected, after a dormant period of about two years. proSET is not a separate legal entity. It is governed by the founding documents of the NSTF.
proSET discussions forums
As a sector of the NSTF, proSET hosts one Discussion Forum (previously called proSET Presidents’ Forum) focusing of issues of cross-cutting interest to the proSET member organisations. See Discussion Forums, where proSET forums are listed as part of NSTF events.
The proSET Committee meets three times a year. Following is a list of the current Committee members:
|Committee Member||Member Credentials and Contribution|
|Mr Reinhard Meyer||proSET representative on NSTF Exco, and member of Geological Society of South Africa (GSSA)|
|Mr Dawie Botha||proSET representative on NSTF Exco, and member of South African Academy of Engineering (SAAE)|
|Dr Gerda Botha||President of South African Council for Natural and Applied Science Practitioners (SACNASP)|
|Mr Richard Gundersen||Past Director: AS&TS Trust|
|Ms Jansie Niehaus||NSTF Executive Director*|
|Mrs Wilna Eksteen||NSTF Office Manager*|
|Ms Makwena Ramaru||(NSTF) Secretary for proSET Committee*|
* Non-voting committee members
During 2011, the NSTF worked with the former AS&TS Trustees and Directors to transfer the AS&TS Trust funds to the NSTF. (Previously the funds had been dormant for many years.) This money is ring fenced for proSET use for projects consistent with the NSTF’s and the old AS&TS Trust’s mandates. (Both these mandates are very similar).
The proSET Committee decides on how funds will be used, depending on the trustees/directors’ approval. The AS&TS Trust fund is managed by the NSTF Secretariat and audited yearly.
The current trustees/directors of the AS&TS Trust fund are: Prof Brenda Wingfield, Dr Takalani Rambau and Mr Ralph Gunn.
proSET project grants
Organisations that are NSTF members under the proSET sector can apply annually for project grants. There are specific criteria for these project grants.
The member organisation must meet the following requirements:
- Be a paid-up member of NSTF in the proSET sector
- Be a voluntary association, a non-profit company or a non-profit organisation
- Not be primarily funded by government or government agencies
- Be solvent and have other sources of income besides proSET funding
The projects must meet the following requirements:
- Related to sciences, engineering, technology (SET), SET education (including maths education), SET awareness raising, or training
- Regarded by many proSET organisations as having common or cross-cutting interest to the SET community.
- Already well established or be linked to existing projects
The following factors are also considered:
- Projects that will have a multiplier effect, eg training trainers
- Projects that will have measurable outcomes, and that include plans to evaluate processes and outcomes
- Projects that promote ongoing professional development of individual members of proSET member organisations