Language and STEM education at school – policy and research
3-4 October 2017
The NSTF is hosting a national Discussion Forum on Language in Education (#LangInEd). Language issues in South Africa have not been adequately addressed. In the STEM subjects (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), it is particularly worrying that the medium of instruction may contribute to the lack of progress in these subjects.
Attend the Discussion Forum to explore the impact of language on STEM subjects in education. This is a free event for employees of NSTF member organisations. The event takes place during the school holidays – all educators are welcome to attend for free.
- Helping learners become fluent in the language of science classrooms
- In South Africa, science should be taught in only one language – how about English?
- SA-FM Morning talk podcast: Can science be taught in African languages?
- Role of the Nature of Learner Difficulties with the Language for Learning and Teaching Science
- New programme to make learning fun
- Creating Wealth Through Indigenous Languages
- Why we need mother tongue and other languages to grow our children's literacy