Sustainable development and the chemical elements: Chemical elements from the perspective of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
16 May 2019
The United Nations (UN) proclaimed 2019 the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements. The UN recognises the importance of raising global awareness around chemistry. This includes chemistry’s role in solving global challenges within the energy, agriculture, health and other critical sectors.
Because of the wealth of possible topics, the NSTF Discussion Forums focus on specific topics related to chemistry and the periodic table. This event will view chemical elements from the perspective of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The following questions may be addressed:
* What are the issues related to minerals in energy, water, food, education and economic sustainability?
* What does this tell us about minerals that have to be mined or imported?
* What does it tell us about nutrition and public awareness around healthy eating?
* How can science teachers relate the elements in the periodic table to their applications and importance?
* What opportunities are there for growing particular industries?
- Concept document
- Event infographic
- Speakers bios
- Media Release: Systems thinking, sustainable development and chemical elements