Awards for individuals for research and related activities
Awards for individuals for any field of activity relating to research and its outputs in four categories. These are all made to individuals based in South Africa, and who are South Africans or permanent residents. The individual must have made an outstanding contribution to SET in South Africa in any field of activity relating to research and its outputs. This could include related SET and innovation management activities necessary for the successful development and diffusion of new or improved products/services.
- Contribution over a lifetime – fifteen years or more
- TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Researchers – Contribution through research and its outputs over a period from 6 years up to 15 years of research work from the commencement of the research career, predominantly in South Africa
- TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Emerging Researchers – Contribution through research and its outputs over a period of up to 6 years of research work from the commencement of the research career, predominantly in South Africa
- Contribution through management and related SET activities – over the last 5 to 10 years
Where a period of research is considered:
- In most cases the period of research would commence with the attainment of a PhD but can also be considered to have started with the research towards that degree.
- Completion of a PhD degree is however not of itself a pre-requisite for a nomination for these awards but is intended to provide a benchmark for the assessment. Should there be extraordinary circumstances in the assessment of the appropriate period, the form provides for a suitable motivation in this regard to be provided
Contribution through management and related SET activities over the last 5 to 10 years
The award is made for a contribution to SET and innovation through management and activities other than the research itself. It includes all other contributions that are often necessary for the successful development and diffusion of new or improved products, processes or services such as:
- Managerial activities including management of training and education
- Technical activities including development
- Commercial and financial activities