The criteria for evaluation of nominees are clearly laid out in the relevant Nomination Forms, which should be completed after successfully registering a Notice of Intent to Nominate, online. The nomination forms can be viewed and downloaded here below, in order to see what information is required. The relevant nomination form will be made available in Word format, once an Intent to Nominate is registered. For information purposes, the following criteria broadly apply.
The following criteria broadly apply to assessing all categories of the awards:
Section 1: Background and contribution to the advancement of science/technological innovation/new knowledge generated:
- the inputs to this contribution
- the research/development process
Section 2: Outputs –What has been done with this contribution :
- The outputs
- The practical application/implementation/impact and commercial or economic impact
- Relevance to South Africa and its people and resultant contribution to science, engineering and technology (SET) policy
- Promotion of public understanding of SET
Section 3: Students, Education and development of human capital, Sustainability and Recognition
- Supervision of students and promotion of education in this field as a contribution to the public understanding of SET
- Social and economic sustainability
- National and international recognition
Examples of nomination forms
The criteria interpretation in relation to each of the awards is clarified in the examples of Nomination Forms below.
Awards for individuals and researchers for contributions to science, engineering and technology (SET) in four categories
(Contribution over a lifetime, TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Researchers for research and its outputs, TW Kambule-NSTF Awards: Emerging Researchers for research and its outputs, Contribution through management and related SET activities)
(Corporate organisation and small, medium and micro enterprises (SMME))
Once Registration of a nomination is done online, the relevant form will be made available in Word format to be filled in.
Certain additional criteria apply to specific awards categories. This can be viewed on the relevant award category pages.