The NSTF-South32 Awards are intended to recognise and celebrate individuals, teams and organisations for outstanding contributions in science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation, for the purposes of:
- Achieving sustainable economic growth for South Africa;
- Improving the quality of life of its people;
- Promoting excellence among SET and practitioners and in research, development and innovation; and
- Encouraging young people to undertake careers in SET and innovation.
In this context and for our purposes, definitions are:
- Science refers to the systematic study of the nature and behaviour of the material and physical universe, defined, in the broadest sense, to encompass both the natural and human sciences;
- Engineering is considered as the practical application of this knowledge especially in industry and commerce but also in human scientific fields;
- Technology is seen as the means whereby science is converted into engineering and other applications, disciplines and undertakings; and
- Innovation means the application, in practice, of creative new ideas, which include inventions, discoveries and the processes by which new products and services enter the market and the creation of new businesses.