The Water Research Commission (WRC) has partnered with the NSTF to establish an award that acknowledges outstanding contributions towards sustainable water management, knowledge generation and solutions
The WRC was established in terms of the Water Research Act (Act No 34 of 1971). It is deemed to be of national importance to generate new knowledge and to promote South Africa’s water research purposefully. The WRC responds to the national need to fund priority and relevant water research studies and provide both strategic and facilitatory leadership for water technology transfer and innovation.
WRC-NSTF Award to an individual, team, partnership or an organisation for outstanding contributions to science, engineering and technology (SET) and innovation in South Africa towards sustainable water management, knowledge generation and solutions over the last five to ten years. To be awarded in recognition of demonstrated leadership, innovation and impact.
This award seeks to give recognition to the following contributions over the last five to ten years considered either together or separately.
- Leadership in water research, development and knowledge generation that considers transformation and growth of the human capital pipeline for sustainable water management in South Africa;
- Exceptional contributions towards informing and shaping the national water landscape through policy, decision-making and legislative enhancements. The work recognized could include knowledge-based advocacy.
- Innovations that demonstrate sustainable solutions to water challenges in South Africa. These could include technology, service, process, or social innovations with impact within, between and beyond organisational boundaries;
- Outstanding work in trans-disciplinary approaches and water projects towards the empowerment of communities; and
- Improved models for integrating water opportunities into entrepreneurship and new product developments that will have a positive impact on water management in South Africa.